5.26.2010

i'm a bear.. hear me GaaarrRRR!!

We have plans to go camping/backpacking this Memorial Day weekend. Joe is an avid camper... being from Idaho and all :-)
Or should I say was, since we have only been camping together two times in as many years?

The first time we went with another couple overlooking this algae-infested pond beautiful lake and it rained the whole time.
Oh, and the chick we were with went and took a dump in the woods and came back and put her used TP in the fire. Let's just say no one wanted to cook smores! It was a 'shitty' experience.

Our second backpacking/camping trip - just the two of us - went much better, but it's been almost a year now since we've been.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not that i don't like camping trips.
It's just hard to find the time... But we're going this weekend with a group of friends for 3 nights! With 3 dogs (yes, 3 - I'm dog sitting for friend and don't ask how i thought that would be a good idea, but I digress).

One of my friends, a transplant from Cincinnati, is coming along and she has never been camping before, so she is basically making the stockholders of REI very happy "getting ready" for this trip. Yesterday she sent me over her list, which REI conveniently supplied, of everything she "needs" for camping. I tried to assure her that she did not, in fact, need an headnet or flares, but I think she just wants to be prepared :-)

Yesterday was a long day. I was tired,but it was Tuesday so off my lil bro Gabe and I trekked to Sarvey Wildlife like we do every week. I didn't get home until well after 11:00pm and Joe was already dozing off on the couch with a glass of wine. I was too exhausted to be jealous. We got in the shower and I started to tell him about my day. I was laughing about the thought of my friend showing up with a star identification map, an ice-axe and head lamp in tow.

Joe was laughing with me, until I got to the part about the head lamp.

"Uhh... you'll probably gonna be the only one without a head lamp."
"Why would I need a head lamp? I have a flash light!"
"They're just super convenient, you know... for night hikes."

Okay, first of all I DON'T believe I will be the only one without a headlamp. Just saying. But more importantly, why the HELL would we go on a "night hike"? Isn't the whole point of hiking to enjoy your surroundings?

And I don't know about you but I like my ankles - I've liked them for a long time. The way the are, ya know. Not broken.

The only way I'm going to be doing any hiking at night is very quickly if I'm.. ya know.. running from a rapist or a bear or something..
So I told Joe all of the above. I was tired and cranky so I pretty much said it just like that. And then I threw in, ya know... just for good measure:

"YOU can go hiking at night with your precious headlamp. I will be drinking whiskey by the fire. And Homie's staying with me, because Homie doesn't go night hiking EITHER!!!"

Did I mention I love camping?

Anyway, I went to bed for some much needed rest and I slept. Until 6:30am when Joe's iHome awoke me from the most amazing dream ever (so annoying) and Joe barks "Hit the snooze".
See, Joe gets up (and goes to bed) before me, and I like... no I NEED... my morning sleep. It's my best sleep. It's my - if I don't get it you don't want to be around me - sleep.

Now, usually I don't even wake up to Joe's alarm. Usually I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and Joe just reaches over me and presses the damn snooze button himself.

Probably since I was having such an amazing dream God awoke me to punish me for making fun of that girl who pooped her pants in my second grade class.

Anyway, so I pressed the snooze button... and tried to get back to the part where Bondi and I were running off into the sunset to frolic with sparkle unicorns and rainbow butterflies....

*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP* 6:37AM

I rolled over and looked at Joe, waiting for him to, oh I dunno, shut the goddamn alarm off.

Mother-pooper's still asleep!!!

Well this morning, Joe snoozed his alarm from 6:30AM until the time he actually got out of bed at some point over an hour later!! And by Joe I mean me because I am the one who actually had to reach over every time and press the damn snooze button. Because Joe was ignoring me!!! Despite the fact that I was screaming and bitching and carrying on (no I'm not proud, just honest) every time the alarm woke me up. 14 times.
I am one of those people who, when upset, needs to be Heard. Validated. Acknowledged. Pacified. All I got was a few annoyed grumbles and that WOULD.NOT.DO.

So I did what any crazed, sleep-deprived, PMSing normal girl would do. I unplugged the alarm and chucked it across the bed at Joe. Oh yes I did. And I said that alarm would be on his side of the bed from now on. "GaarrRRR!!"

So what did Joe do? He calmly plugged the iHome back in... got out of bed and said "You are out of control."

Finally... victory!!! Joe is up and getting ready and I get to go back to bed!!!!

And then do you know what happened? 7 minutes later, like clockwork, the piece of shit went off again.

Tell me is this iHome like super human? I unplugged it!!! Don't you have to reset it or something?

So from bed I gave my best... "GaaarrrRRRRRRR!!!"

Yes, I ROARED.


Speaking of, I am thinking I need to beware of Bears this weekend... something Brick said in Anchorman.

19 comments:

  1. I am not a camping fan. Waking up all damp or cold or hot. Blah. But, you have fun! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like I was with you ever.step.of.the.way. And that is why I love you!!! This cracked me up! Your crazy action of throwing across the room and Joe's comment .... Nice!! Be tough on your camping adventure like the clock!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the sounds of it, it's the bears that need to be aware of you, not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hated when Mr. Potts would snooze for almost an hour. He'd let it go for about a minute before he'd even hit the button.

    I made him switch sides of the bed with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a camping fan...it's just too much work to be fun. And pooping in the woods isn't appealing either. But have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEADLAMPS are important! I have one in my kitchen drawer and use it every single time I have to go outside in the dark. Andrew and I probably own 4 or 5 of them! Who wants to hold a flashlight camping when you have to go find a place to pee? or poop. They are the most practical thing ever! AND, so are bug nets if the mosquitos are anything like they are here! I posted a pic of me wearing mine camping last summer on my blog. I like camping, but it is definitely a drinking activity. We go on a 2 day canoe/camping trip every summer with a big group of people. So fun!
    AND
    "WE" got in the shower? Do you shower together every night?
    AND, I hit my snooze button for an hour or more daily. Andrew and I each have an alarm clock on our sides, so we can set our own for the times we need to get up! If he doesnt wake up to his, I just kick. Soft at first, hard if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I detest camping. I think campfires and smores are lovely. I enjoy sitting around the fire and telling stories and enjoying cocktails. And then I like to get into my little car and drive to the nearest hotel, where I can shower and sleep in a bed. And then I'll met you back by the campfire in the morning...freshly showered and ready for a hike. Only...I don't really like to hike either.

    Oh well.

    Can't wait to hear stories from the weekend.

    AND...I just have to say that one of the things I DO NOT miss one little bit is the morning alarm/snooze drama :) Now this girl gets to sleep as long as she wants to and doesn't have to listen to a blackberry going off from 6am until whenever b/c someone is sleeping so hard he doesn't hear it going off x-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm on the fence about camping. It depends on the location and weather. Take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man. Night hiking? WTF? That's lame. We don't really camp... My family camped when I was growing up *in our 5th wheel*. Hubbs and I want to go to Chelan this year with our boat. We'll need to camp. I'm nervous. I enjoy the campfire and endless amounts of time to do absolutely nothing. But, not sure that I can do it in the Eastern WA heat for three nights... UGH! Don't get me going on hiking. Although, I think I'd like hiking better if I weren't so out of shape.

    Hope it stops raining for you!!! Where the heck are you guys going anyway?

    ANNNND! I am a bear in the morning. I actually leave before Hubbs most of the time and I'm literally bitter over it. I NEED my sleep and I hate getting up early. We use our phones as alarms and there are NO good tones to wake to and its SO irritating. GRRRR!

    Have fun camping! With your headlamp and all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like camping if it's "wussy camping." You know - showers, toilets, groomed campsites. I've done hardcore backpacking camping and it was not my thing. Hope you have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hee! Well it got him out of bed and served the purpose! "Whoot" cares if you threw the iHome at him....i would do the same thing. (but i might also be a violent sleeper. lmao)

    Anywho...love the "shitty" experience ;)

    Enjoy camping & have a blast - watcho out for those bears :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please to share the sparkle unicorns!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahahah - I HATE the snooze button! My husband always wants to set his alarm 15 minutes early so that he can snooze - but that does NOT make sense to me. I'd rather sleep until the last minute ;)

    Have fun camping!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The hubs finally gave up the multiple snoozes when I was pregnant. He didn't want to anger the CRAZY mother of his child. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm totally putting this comment on the wrong post but oh my GAWD Homie is PRECIOUS!!! I want him! And good for you for adopting.

    Hope you had fun camping! You're a braver woman than I. Far braver. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. i have never been and want to go. Am I a weirdo?

    Btw, I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. literally laughing out loud. matt so freaking does this. i kid you not. THANKFULLY i sleep through most natural disasters so it's not a big deal. we're both hoping i awake to the sound of our child crying. i'm currently thinking of ways to train koda to run in, get him out of his crib and bring him to me. it involves a sling and a highly trained labrador (that part we're working on) don't worry about it.

    but seriously, not sure how i missed this post. OBVIOUSLY you're safe and sound and weren't eaten by a bear (nor was homie) RIGHT? i think we need to hear about this camping trip.

    and you're joking. she did not put her freshly crapped on TP in the fire. that's just NAS-TAY. she should be shot. or chased by a bear.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I liked camping! Love the t-shirt haha

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha say.. whatcha sayyy?