have you heard of the documentary "earthlings"?
apparently it was released in 2005, but i never heard about it, until i read an article in the seattle p-i about the mistreatment of the elephants at woodland park zoo and saw a reference to earthlings in the comments section.
i watched the trailer online...
okay, i lied. i watched about half the trailer online, until i got to the part showing dogs, raccoons and foxes skinned alive in china for their fur, and i felt like vomiting. it was horrifying and disturbing. the images of animal cruelty, abuse, slaughter...
it wasn't that i didn't know this is a sad reality of the world we live in. it's just it's so easy to ignore. bury my head in the sand, so to speak.
anyway, i knew i had to watch earthlings.
i ordered it on netflix, and it sat on my coffee table for 6 days, daring me to watch it.
finally last night, with butterflies in my stomach, i put in the dvd, and cuddled up on the couch with bondi as my little spoon, and pressed play.
it was beyond disturbing. profoundly grotesque.
and i think you should watch it!
i know, i know. you will say "you can't bear to watch it" it's too awful. blah blah blah.
~*~this is me on my soap box~*~ if you eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, and steak for dinner... if you wear cute patent leather shoes and carry a lovely coach handbag, if you have a designer dog (or any dog), if you've ever been to the zoo or the circus or the rodeo, if you live on this planet we share with non-humans... you owe it to yourself to be informed.
~*~this is not me preaching~*~ telling you what decisions to make for your life. i do not judge you for your choices.
~*~i will not lie~*~ i eat chicken and turkey and eggs and milk and cheese. i wear leather.
i am just as complicit in the torture and suffering of animals as the next person. and that is exactly what it is. torture and suffering. but i know... and i choose.
i choose not to eat mammals.
i choose to adopt my dogs from the shelter.
i choose to volunteer at sarvey.
i choose not to support seaworld or the zoo.
i choose to support defenders of wildlife.
and...
i choose to share this powerful documentary with you.
fyi: you can watch the whole movie documentary online here: www.earthlings.com
here is a summary (from wikipedia):
EARTHLINGS is a multi-award winning feature length documentary about humanity's absolute dependence on animals (for pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and scientific research) while illustrating our complete disrespect for these so-called "non-human providers." [...] the film is narrated by two-time Academy Award nominee Joaquin Phoenix and features music by the critically acclaimed platinum artist Moby. [...]
With an in-depth study into pet stores, puppy mills and animal shelters, as well as factory farms, the leather and fur trades, sports and entertainment industries, and finally the medical and scientific profession, EARTHLINGS uses hidden cameras and never before seen footage to chronicle the day-to-day practices of some of the largest industries in the world, all of which rely entirely on animals for profit. Powerful, informative and thought-provoking, EARTHLINGS is by far the most comprehensive documentary produced on the correlation between nature, animals, and human economic interests.
Phoenix has commented on the documentary that, "Of all the films I have ever made, this is the one that gets people talking the most. For every one person who sees EARTHLINGS, they will tell three."
consider ~this~ me telling three.
here is what people are saying who watch the earthlings:
WARNING: Below is a preview of certain disturbing images in the movie."earthlings is the definitive film of all time that americans don't want to see."
"for those who watch the earthlings, the world will never be the same."
"earthlings is nothing short of a masterpiece"
"it is a rare experience to be changed by a film. earthlings has that power."
"the most powerful movie i have ever known."
DO NOT SCROLL DOWN IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO SEE.
images courtesy of google "earthlings" images

















omg. i am so the same as you when it comes to this regard. but i can't watch it. i had to scroll fast past the pictures at the bottom. for several reasons - 1 - because i'm pregnant and already emotional. i would probably cry twice as long. 2 - because these things burn in my brain (as they probably do yours too) and eat at me until i go into a full on depression. there are such sick HORRIBLE AWFUL people in this world and if i had the means and opportunity i would work to take EVERY ONE down as i know you would. kudos to you for bringing this to so many's attention. really my heart is just sick right now.
ReplyDeleteGROSS!!
ReplyDeleteI dont know if I could watch that...I could give it a try...
that is just so terrible. I am not sure if I could watch that documentary but maybe I'll try
ReplyDeleteThe dogs just get me...horrible images. Poor things. I cannot believe people treat animals that way. I would watch it. But, I don't have a DVD player. I know - weird. Maybe it will be On Demand???
ReplyDeletePS - loved the book and passed it on. I have referenced a few of my favorite bits lately :)
OMG this is horrible. I am a huge advocate for animals and this just breaks my heart. I really want to watch this documentary. It's horrible what some people do to animals, breaks my heart.
ReplyDeleteOh gosh. This stuff just breaks my heart. I can't even bear to look at the pictures of the dogs! Our shelter rescue dogs are like my children! So sad...
ReplyDeleteI was just reminded of the documentary after I started a fight with my partner about the chicken he asks me to buy for him. I just won't do it anymore, period! I myself am a veggie flirting with the vegan lifestyle.
ReplyDeleteFor all of you who don't have a DVD player/ no money to rent the movie/ don't know how to pirate it: you can watch it on Google videos in full length:
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=6361872964130308142
Thanks for your post, Jenny!
I love the quote from Henry Beston that was read during the movie:
ReplyDeleteWe need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature, and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein we err, and greatly err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.
For every good man and woman there seems to be countless others prepared to let this happen. I guess you can take away some of their power if you refuse to eat meat or become vegan and don't buy products tested or made with animals...what else is there? My heart is truely broken after watching this film but I'm grateful for it & so pleased it was made.
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for your post.
ReplyDeleteIt reflects exactly my feelings today.
I grab the courage yesterday to sit and see the movie. had to stop it several times and had to turn my head to the wall others.
today i feel sad. very sad.
But anyway I feel grateful to the ones who did it.
And finally as you say above I feel that I SHOULD share this with everybody.
I know that many will not have the courage... and I know that who has it will hate me some way.
But is necessary to know the truth and choose our goods in consecuence.
In front of all this cruelty one feels powerless but to change one's habits, to make this public, talk about it and encourage others to see it may make more people aware an concious about the world we build everyday with our choices.
There is a phrase that I cant remember now who said it but it is:
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
So... my world has another color today. I will try to make my own change... this means the world to me.
Thank you again!