2.18.2010

love thy neighbor

Background Info: Our apartment lease is up in a couple weeks, so Joe and I have been looking for a house to move to... with a yard... so we can get Mr. Bondi a little brother/sister that Joe will insist on naming "Homie"... which I think is the worst name for a dog ever, but I digress. 

We just found a place that is dirt cheap - I won't even tell you how cheap cause I don't want to make any Manhattanites cry. And really, it's perfect for us - well, except for the fact that it's really a really old house and has a strange odor, a little bit like what I imagine crack would smell like, and umm... then there's the sex offender neighbor and the stuttering landlord.  

Red flags? No, we'll just work around these little issues. So Say I.  


Friend:  did i hear you and joe signed a place??
me:  not yet
we did FIND a place though
and we are meeting tonight to potentially sign
Friend:  sweetness - where's it at?
me:  need to determine if the neighbor is a level i sex offender or just a sex offender "dabbler"
i'm gonna knock on his door and bring him cookies 
Friend:  and children?
haha sorry bad joke
me:  no seriously, on the king county sex offenders list, the address DIRECTLY next door is listed as sex offender, so i studied the pic and im gonna go knock on the door - check him out.
Friend:  haha creeepy
me:  WELL... the landlord legit said on the phone to me, "there's just the problem of the neighbor. he's a little cranky. But if he gives you any problems, just call us and we'll get a restraining order"
WTF
Friend: uhhhhh
me:  but actually the landlord stutters, ALOT, so it was more like, "we-e-elll thah-ah-rrS ju-ju-just the"
me: So maybe we just have a cranky neighbor and then somewhere close by a sex offender. Probably best if the cranky neighbor is the sex offender, that way we kill two birds with one stone?
Friend:  hahahah
me:  place is right behind kangaroo and kiwi pub..
like 2 blocks from greenlake on 99
it is an OLD house
but has a lot of character
each room has different color walls haha
big basement with space for beer pong, etc.
and if i felt so inclined, i could decorate it really vintagey
Friend: i'm a big fan of old houses - i think they have a lot of character missing from today's housing
me:  yeah.. well theres the problem of no dishwasher but joe fancies himself a handyman and thinks he's  gonna install one :-)
im going to point and laugh.

So here's what I got:
***LOCATION                               
PROS: Easy access to freeway for commuting, 2 blocks from Greenlake, Across the street from my favorite Pho restaurant, stone's throw from one of my favorite pubs, and directly next door to a great pizza place. On second thought, that might be a con.
CONS: Directly next door to a pizza place, "cranky neighbor" that we potentially need to get a restraining order against?, sex offender neighbor possibly (hopefully) same person as cranky neighbor.. But since little kids don't like cranky men, probably he wouldn't have been a very successful sex offender. So probably not. Oh, and if you're thinking he might not have been a 'child molester' sex offender, he was. I saw.. on the creepy and addictive find a sex offender near you site.

***LANDLORD
PROS: Lives over an hour away.
CONS: Has serious speech impediment. Conversations take 3x longer than humanly necessary.   

***HOUSE
PROS: Spacious, new carpets, big rooms, big basement, washer and dryer...
CONS: Smells funny, possibly like crack. Not that I would know. Every room has different color walls. No dishwasher. 


Thoughts??  Besides the obvious, that I have Mad "Paint" Skillz. Have you ever tried to use that program? It is less user-friendly than those grocery store Self Checkouts. I think I'll stick with Photoshop.

9 comments:

  1. Oh man. That guy kinda terrifies me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green Lake is a great lake to walk around. Nice 2 1/2 to 3 mile walk. And, if I am not mistaken, the is a porn store on Aurora not too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this sex guy attack men, women or children. I mean...if it's kids (thats way gross) but you guys would be ok.
    And if I told you how much my rent was for a maybe 500 square foot apt you would cry because you would feel so sorry for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, for YOU guys, you only need to worry if he is a sex offender to dogs, so I think you are in the clear. Your little son should be fine...but make sure to check into that- for Bondi's sake! And, maybe he was 19 and was with a 16 year old or something. That qualifies as child molester, right? or no? i Have no idea. There are only 2 sex offenders in my town, and they are not near me. I checked...becauase some people think I am younger than I am!
    I say Yes because of your fave pub with Kiwi in the title, which by the way, I just told andrew, and he said "That is cool"
    and, i just found this whole post Hilarious, yet disturbing, so I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that since he only hurts children...sad face...you should be safe. But since I am living somewhere that I no longer feel safe after police arrested a man for attempting to break into my apt, I can say this is an issue for me. I hate coming home to an empty house since my law student husband is usually already home, I hate walking from the parking space to the door after dark and I especially hate being at home alone all night. Things to consider. Do not pretend to be more brave than you are. Be honest with yourself and stay within your comfort area in this case. It's a year long commitment, right? That's a loooong time if you don't feel safe!

    I think the house sounds pretty cool. We couldn't live without a dishwasher, but only becuase we'd probably get divorced over who didn't rinse their plate.

    And I don't think the landlord should be a problem. You talk to him so much more now while you're looking/leasing than you will once you are all moved in, and maybe you could try to email about any maintenance issues?

    Good luck! Post pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa -that dude is SCARY!!! Hmm that's a tough decision. The location for you sounds like it's ideal & I also love-love old houses and their charm. The smell does bother me & the fact they put new carpet...cause if something shady happened there, that's what you replace. Have you googled or searched the address in the local paper to see if any major "arrests" took place in said house? lol & if landlord so freely mentioned the restraining order i would assume the neighbor has had this done several times before. lol

    Otherwise i say knock yourself out as long as you don't plan on having kids anytime soon. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Upon blowing up your gorgeous paint sketch :), I see that there is both a Daycare AND a Private School w/in walking distance from the pedifile/sex offender/scary man. No good I say!

    However, the house (otherwise) sounds fabulous. Nothing a few candles won't freshen up, and Homie....sweet little Homie. He needs a home :) AND...Bondi would have a yard.

    I sure hope it works out, and no restraining orders are needed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd be more worried about the pizza place than the sex offender. I mean, I love Linguica as much as the next guy, but nobody wants to smell like that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am apparently late to this post. Have you made a decision yet?!?! This slightly scares me because you would join CF Greenlake and ditch me at Bellevue :( HUGE SAD FACE

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha say.. whatcha sayyy?