10.08.2009

Dogs Rule Cats Drool... with Lots of Bacteria

I promise I won't only blog about dogs and cats. But I have a somewhat ridiculous story I want to share. Here goes...

Several Weeks Ago, 10:00 PM: I'm having a glass of wine with a neighbor of mine in the courtyard of my apartment. She has a feline friend (let's call him "PsychoCat") that roams the courtyard and I have my dog Bondi with me. Everything's peachy until her cat takes off running with Bondi in hot pursuit.

PsychoCat, in trying to get away, somehow lodges himself in between two wooden rails of deck fencing with his head through and his big behind stuck. Bondi, being the highly intelligent canine that he is, runs around to the other side of the fencing and heads straight for PsychoCat.

Now I trust Bondi with cats - my parents have two that he pretty much ignores - but I sure as hell am not going to be responsible for him eating my neighbor's cat. (In hindsight, I should have let Bondi have at it!)

I step in and try to save PsychoCat by grabbing his behind and pulling him out of his precarious position. He kindly thanks me by biting my right hand very hard a good six or so times. It hurts like hell, but I wash my hand, wrap it in a paper towel, and get back to good conversation and Cabernet.

4:00 AM: I wake up in a ridiculous amount of intense throbbing pain and decide that my thumb MUST be broken. I take four Advil and try to sleep.

7:00 AM: Still can't sleep. Call mom. Cry. (You know how if you're in pain or upset, talking to your mom always puts you in tears? Is that just me?) Mom tells me of course my thumb is not broken, it is infected. Cats have DIRTY mouths.

9:00 AM: See doctor. Get antibiotics, pain medication, and a shot in the behind. Hand looks like this:
3 Days Later: Still in ridiculous amount of pain. Can't move thumb at all. Can't believe PsychoCat's bacteria-infested mouth has caused me to have an Oompa Loompa Hand. At least I have Bondi and sweet boyfriend Joe to tend to my every need!

5 Days Later: So gross. See below.

Today: STILL on antibiotics! My hand looks somewhat normal but it still hurts and I still can't bend my thumb. Apparently this is because the infection is in the tendons/joints. Good times.

Take Home Message: Cats have very dirty mouths with lots of bacteria in them. Apparently (according to the doc) if you're bit by a cat you have about a 50-50 chance of developing a serious infection. Further evidence that, indeed, dogs rule and cats drool.

PsychoCat: 1 - Jenny: 0
So Say I.

3 comments:

  1. Except I remember the doctor saying that he sees three types of bites... cats, dogs and humans, and that of the three, humans are the worst and dogs are second. He actually said that cat mouths are CLEANER than dogs, which I found difficult to believe! Haven't you always heard cats had the dirtiest mouths? He spoke very authoritatively though, so now I wonder.

    On another note, I am sooooo glad you are blogging! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are doing better, but hope you get back 100% soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Same thing that happened to me at the animal shelter except I didn't go to the doctor for, like, 3 days because I was on vacation so instead I made that video out of it.

    Good times. Good times.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha say.. whatcha sayyy?