10.15.2009

Seriously?? It's 2009!!!

I wasn't going to go there. You know, politics there.... But I just saw this story and I have to say... I AM IN SHOCK! I'm sorry, this isn't even politics - this is just absurd!!!

"Interracial couple denied marriage license in La." - The gist of the story is this judge in Louisiana refuses to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might one day have.

Seriously?? It's 2009!!!

Here's a gem from the story: "I don't do interracial marriages because I don't want to put children in a situation they didn't bring on themselves," Bardwell [the judge] said. "In my heart, I feel the children will later suffer."

Apparently, the judge in question is not familiar with the Supreme Court's 1963 ruling that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry, or more likely, he just chose to disregard the whole law thing.

And as far as children are concerned... well, I think the couple are off to a good start, seeing as they don't already have kids. Seriously, there are soooo many children born into single parent homes. I just don't see how the judge thinks he can play morality police here. Don't know what else to say about that.

Am I the only one that thinks this is NUTSO?

4 comments:

  1. That is completely insane. I cannot believe he is even allowed to say no!!!! He needs to be taken off that bench he sits so high on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?!?!?! And here I thought it was illegal to deny people marriage for such a thing! How absolutely terrible. I love that it's been published, and I can't even wait to see the backlash this judge receives as a result. FOR SHAME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking like he's going to be dismissed as Justice of the Peace, so that's something I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what really hit me about this... I was listening to the women tell her story and she was recounting her exchange with the pastor. When he told her he did not do interracial marraiges, she actually asked him if he knew of anyone who did do interracial marraiges that he could refer her to. She was just so unoffensive. It took a while for her to realize just how wrong this man was.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha say.. whatcha sayyy?