10.30.2009

Wishful Wednesday.. thoughts on Halloween

So I'm a little late on this Wishful Wednesday from Kelsey at The Seattle Smith's ... but as I always say, better late than never!

"I Wish" ...
I was 6 years old and going Trick-or-Treating,
and my costume would be...
 this "Sexy" Pirate Wench.



Okay, just kidding. I picked this costume because I just want to say, WTF???? What is wrong with our society that we are marketing a "Pirate Wench Child Costume" to our youngsters??

Actually, the Consumerist (if you don't read it, I highly recommend...) did a story on this, urging online retailers to remove costumes described as "sexy" and displayed in children's categories. The Examiner also did a piece on the trend of sexing up children and tweens with borderline whorish halloween costumes that leave little to the imagination. Definitely worth a looksy:
"Halloween is a great time for kids to dress up and live out their fantasies and lately girls have been able to live out their dream of really hot and sexy and naughty... Wha? Wha??!! Halloween costumes have gotten out of hand. Gather any group of parents and you'll quickly hear about how the choices of costumes have gone from witch and princess to sexy witch and pouty porn princess."
Now, don't get me wrong... I'm all for sexy Halloween costumes!!! But I am 25. Not 6, or even 12. Come on, Culture/Society/Parents, etc. - Let's not encourage our little girls to wear "sexy" costumes. They have many, many years ahead to do that.

On that note, I know lots of people bitch about how women use Halloween as an excuse to dress as 'sluts' ... but I'm going to refrain from judgement on this one. I say, once you're an adult, you can make your own decision on what to wear... and if you want to dress as a Playboy Bunny, go riiight ahead. (I'm sure you won't hear MEN complaining.)

I myself dressed as a "Dead Baby" last year... not too "PC" but I didn't have to worry about seeing a hundred other girls wearing my costume.


This year, I think I'm going to dress as a Jellyfish. Wear white.. hang some streamers from an umbrella or something.. I don't know. We'll see how that turns out.

And in closing haha.. I would just like to say, what has this world come to?? Sexy DOG Costumes?  Seriously?


 

I'm not gonna lie. I might have wanted to get one for Bondi :-)

2 comments:

  1. Ummm...your costume last year is hysterical. Blood in the nose is a nice touch. And looks so real!

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha say.. whatcha sayyy?