... when Joe decided to share some (apparently) newly acquired knowledge.
**background info: Joe and I have "cohabitated" - as it's called now, I guess? - for a year next month**
Joe: "Did you know that couples who live together before getting married are twice as likely to get divorced as those who don't??"
Moi: "Hmmm...." **long pause while I carefully craft my response**
Hurt my head trying to remember Statistics. Sampling error, hypothesis testing, normal distribution and confidence intervals jumble my thoughts. Not sure what applies here...?? Wishing I would have gone to class more regularly instead of just cramming for those exams.
Must.respond.intelligently.
Must.respond.intelligently.
"Well I think the Mormons seriously skew that statistic quite significantly."
Joe: "How so?"
Moi: Well, they certainly don't live together before marriage. Most people, I think, probably do. And they aren't lining up for divorce either... pretty sure that's not "allowed".
** conversation ends. next topic.**
Good talk.
But you know what? Marriage is kinda scary! For lots of reasons, but oh.my.gosh -- could NOT believe when I saw this about Weddings on Consumerist the other day! $50k??? REALLY???
Take a closer look at this graphic here.
Anyway, that's all I got right meow.










I LOVE your answer! Mr. Potts & I were married for considerably less than that. I think that number is highly skewed (like the Mormans - HA!) and not realistic.
ReplyDeletePS: We got the BED! Hayden LOVES it - Pepe Cat does too!
Ummm...I thought you were going to say he proposed. Nice work thought. He must love your quick wit.
ReplyDeleteOh there's always a statistic about something or another. If I believed everything I heard I'd be a mess. Oh and I believe that amount on weddings. Trust me it's up there once everything gets added up. I think that numbers on the low end too sigh.
ReplyDeleteum...that chart gave me a headache. mormons. divorce. oh gosh.
ReplyDeleteright meow! LOVE IT.
Oh!
ReplyDeleteI would never ever ever spend that kind of money on a wedding!
Rather blow it all out on an incredible trip!!!
My wedding:
At my parents farm...down a dirt road...in the country.
We got married in the hay field across from the house.
Under a handmade tent...
at sundown...
with butterfulies flittering...
and fireworks going off when we said I do!
Oh...and I wore white jcrew flipflops...as did all my bridesmaids.
And...wore a long white knit dress...with a sheer old timey white apron around it!
Reception followed...up the drive...poolside! Magical indeed...and all for around $3000.
Then we honeymooned our little hearts away in Anguilla for 2 weeks!
XXOOXX
hahahah. I had not read this when I emailed you about making you a kit soon!
ReplyDeleteUm, I agree that the people Who DO NOT LIVE Together before marriage are generally the same people who do not believe in divorce- Mormons and other religions.
And, that amount is high, but I just attended a wedding that cost WAY WAY more than that Average cost on the chart!! Just crazy.
Have a great weekend my love!
I guess it's good I am doing long distance then hey?! lol
ReplyDeleteThe divorce rate among physicians is 60% - I don't want to add anymore negative statistics to that. So we are staying APART! hahaha
Love this post... I am laughing!
I think you can totally skew any statistic to make it fit a certain agenda. The mormons probably just made that one up.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh that chart is so interesting to look at! It's funny how even all the months are for getting married.
ReplyDeleteOh my...we had the "M" talk last night. Caused me to drink 1.5 bottles of Cab Sauv...by myself! Egads!
ReplyDelete