11.04.2009

fun with flat tires

Uggh. What a stressful morning we had today!!! It started last night, actually... As I was driving home from Crossfit, I noticed the car was pulling a bit. But then I decided it was just my shaky arms from a hard CF workout (seriously!) and put it out of my mind.

This morning, I woke up early because Joe had a dentist appointment. I was going to drive him so he didn't have to take the bus. As it turned out, thank God I offered! 

A little background - Joe works downtown so he walks to/from work, and I traded my Explorer in earlier this year in the Cash for Clunkers program, so I've been driving Joe's Subaru until I find a good deal on a used SUV.

Anywayyy, back to this morning. No sooner do we pull out of the parking garage then we hear a horrid clunk.Clunk.CLUUUNK. We pull over to find:



Lovely.

Of course we were already running late, so Joe's stressing, but he quickly gets to work on changing the tire. SEXY! On second thought, it would've been sexier if I'd done it... oh well, there's always next time...

10 minutes later: Spare tire on. Off to the dentist we go. Or not! About twenty feet later the clunk.Clunk.CLUUUNK. is back. Apparently the spare tire is also flat. WTF??!!!

Joe [exasperated] says: "If it's not one thing, it's another!"
So-Say-I: "Actually, it's pretty much the same thing."

NOTE TO SELF ... in the future, refrain from such observations.

Ugh. Anyway, the rest of this story sucks but goes something like this: Tried to inflate said busted spare tire. Called AAA. Cancelled on AAA. Took cab to tire shop. Bought tire. Went back to stranded car. Changed third tire. Drove back to tire shop. Waited, and waited, and waited... while tire shop changed four tires (apparently with AWD you can't just change one?), checked alignment, etc. etc.

$600 and 3.5 hours later, we were on our way. Fun Stuff!!

5 comments:

  1. ohmygosh so sorry! car problems stress me out like NO OTHER b/c there's nothing I can do about them.. I feel so helpless ya know.. Arg. Hate it! Glad you got it taken care of, but icks on spending the extra cash...blah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's horrible! I hate flat tires. Hopefully, by fixing them all you won't have to worry about it for a while?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to make sure my spare is not flat right now! :)
    I have a subaru too. Just got it this summer because the hubby thought it would be a good safe car in our NH winters!
    THanks for stopping by my blog! AND GUESS what? YOu are right. At the end of the BL my friend noticed in the closing credits a line that said "BOB [last name] HAS AN ENDORSEMENT WITH WRIGLEY'S/Extra GUM. So there you have it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny DB ... Kels just gave me the 411 on you and I feel like we have to meet on my next Seattle visit!!! Looking forward to reading more, and best of luck on the car search! I recommend the Volvo XC90, just saying :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am laughing so hard right now! Not at your situation, of course, because that is just crappy...but at your observation! I would so say the exact same thing, and surely wish I hadn't afterwards :)

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha say.. whatcha sayyy?