11.24.2009

point in case.

So a Facebook friend distant acquaintance from college updated her Facebook status the other day saying:
"Funniest site ever: www.dukerejects.com"
Out of curiosity, I checked it out. It was a "a href" redirect to www.unc.edu - University of North Carolina Chapel Hill's website. Sooo funny!!

This is point in case for me of why DUKE sucks. Sure, sure.. it was a "great education"... but not really!! Certainly not $160,000 worth of education.

With the exception of a few - literally, I can count them on one hand - most classes were taught by professors TAs who didn't give a shit about their students or the same material they'd been teaching year.after.year. In short, Duke 'courses' were pretty much nothing more than what I could have taught myself out of $200 textbooks.

But that is not my point in case. Not only was the education not so great... but the people kinda sucked too. Not all of them, of course. Some of the people I met there will be bridesmaids, life-long friends, etc. But can't you find that at any college??

Most of the people at DUKE - the sad majority - are like Miss Facebook Status Updater (point in case). They think their shit doesn't stink and, oh, because they go to Duke they're better than you. Certainly better than anyone at a *GASP* State School like UNC.

It's not that many of the students at DUKE aren't incredibly smart and special... "the best of the best"... or at least seem that way to impressionable freshman. Hell... three of the five girls in my dorm pod freshman year were their highschool class presidents.

But there are also a hell of a lot of really dumb and snobby men and women kids there whose rich daddies bought their admission. Oh, and they'll be sure to tell you they went to Exeter and ask you what your daddy does when they meet you. Quaint.

Just sayin'

10 comments:

  1. HA this is hilarious. I have to check this site out. I went to a fashion school so I didn't really get the college experience which I kinda regret.

    "quaint" lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, did I just sound like a valley girl? god help me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hysterical! I totally get this. Totally.

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAH. MY dad went to Phillips Exeter...but got kicked out...I dont think he even made it one full year! Then he went to state school for college though :)
    I dont think i know ANYONE who went to Duke! Well, you now. I did get into UNC though...but I applied for all the wrong reasons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to University of Maryland. And I completely agree that Duke SUCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Ask what your Daddy does? Classy. Ah ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOu have been gone for almost a week! Are you alive!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second Ashley, where have you been?
    This was hilarious by the way - I've NEVER been a duke fan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to Wake Forest.... and I loved my overpriced, preppy, obnoxious school :) I do agree that DUKE SUCKS though!

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha say.. whatcha sayyy?