11.11.2009

Wishful Wednesday - Chore!


I Wish... I never had to do
 Doggy Chef Duties again! 

Now most people probably are wondering how the hell feeding the dog is a CHORE... Oh, yes it is!! Wanna know why? See my pup Bondi has a lovely protein-losing enteropathy (intestinal disease) called "Lymphangiectasia" that nearly killed him (remember?), which means he can eat ONLY:
  • Rice
  • Tofu Potatoes
  • Tuna in water
  • Chicken breast
  • Turkey breast
  • Non-fat cottage cheese
  • NO (less than 3%) FAT
  • NO GLUTEN
Unfortunately, there are no commercial dog foods that meet the above criterion... (and even if there were, I highly doubt they would be palatable to Mr. Bondi) so to keep my dog alive, I get to for cook for him.... three.times.a.day.every.day.for.the.rest.of.his.life.


 bondi's food. really MUCH larger bowl than it looks. the pills are TUMS :)

This involves buying chicken breast and potatoes in bulk... we're talking 50 lbs at a time, which ain't cheap!! (In case you're wondering, our freezer is pretty much filled to the brim with chicken breast at all times, and our cabinet stays full of tuna for whenever we're in a "Bondi Food" pinch.) Then, we either boil or grill the chicken breast 10 lbs at a time and store it in VERY large Tupperware. Thank God for microwaves, because I can cook his potatoes in about 6-8 minutes.

On any given day, Bondi eats:
  • 3-6 chicken breasts
  • 3-6 potatoes
I KNOW!!! What an OINKER, right???

Special... the vet said to feed him "as much as he wants" because due to his permanent (now manageable) condition, he will always be susceptible to rapid weight loss. (Jealous much? hehe). Oh, and because his diet is pure protein and starch, it's seriously lacking in nutrients. So CAN'T forget the vitamins and - get this - TUMS for Calcium/Magnesium.

ALAS... you see, cooking for Bondi is quite a CHORE and I would be ecstatic to never.ever.EVER do it again. Lucky me, I have an amazing boyfriend who shares Doggy Chef Duties with me, and I get a wonderful (alive) dog who warms my heart:


yes. this is bondi in a box. (my NEW computer box!!!) hehe

PS: This post reminds me, just a few days ago I realized how terribly rotten Bondi's teeth are getting :-(  I was so busy trying to keep him alive for so long, that I didn't even think about his teeth. Without any hard food or bones to keep the plaque and tartar away, his teeth have totally gone to hell in a handbag. Now he has to go in for professional cleaning - possibly extraction! - on Monday.. they'll have to put him under to do this. And I feel SOOOOOooooo terrible for not noticing earlier. Seriously... seriously negligent. So umm, take home lesson... brush your dog's teeth? Uggghh

To participate in Wishful Wednesday, head over to:

6 comments:

  1. We had to put Willis under and do the same, and he had such decay, they had to pull his front tooth. I bet he feels sooo goofy!! By the way, you are the best Momma to Bondi! Seriously amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making this food is worse than dishes...ugh. You are a good mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bondi is lucky to have such a good mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can’t believe Bondi eats THAT MUCH!! He is SOO lucky to have you guys! I was just asking my husband last week if we should be brushing Piri’s teeth, and he said NO! I am going to start. Do you use tooth paste?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just brought back my last few months with my Maddy. I used to cook for her every day. Ground chicken or turkey mixed with rice. Sometimes potatoes. Love Bondi!!

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha say.. whatcha sayyy?